Friday 24 August 2012

Hey I am in Canada :-)

So there I was lazing around in Bangkok, staying at an apartment block about 10 miles north of the city. Very cheap at £9 per night and for that you got a lovely room with balcony, fridge freezer, microwave and large flat screen tv.
It was a bit out of town though! So I soon found myself using the underground and Skytrain (Train goes above the city). Also used TukTuks and scooter taxis.
Scooter taxi's were great fun but a little frightening ! Basically you jump on the back of a scooter with no protection and agree the price and then its off ! zig zagging thru the traffic like a madman ! but its a quick way to get around as Bangkok has major traffic congestion.

So I decided I would squeeze a few days in Cambodia, I decided to move to the city where the hotels went up to £12 per night and also visited the redlight areas. I didnt stay long in the redlight areas, they were packed and it was scorching hot even at night!
I did get approached by a lady of the night, In China town of all places ! I was looking for some where decent to eat and ended up once again in the KFC!

So I took the train to the border, 180 miles for £1 thats value for money!
however it was very hot and jam packed! The novelty wore off after 20 minutes, to make matters worse the train was delayed and it took 7 hours to reach the border.

Seller come thru the train every 20 minutes selling a variety of food and drinks


I sat next to a young lady who later in the journey I gave a cig to, in return she offered me some sort of sexual favour, well I think it was unless she was miming that I needed to clean my teeth !!!
I then spent the next hour looking at her, struggling to see if she had once had an adams apple!

So you take a TukTuk from the train station to the border. Once there you have to find the visa building. Be aware that a lot of people will try and scam you. Just tell them you already have a visa and head thru the arch to the official building.
$20 later you will be issued with a visa and then its off to find transport to Siem Reap. I managed to buy a mini bus ticket for $10. This mini bus was shared by 10 others and the air con was so bad we on the back seat just melted! my shirt looked like it had been taken out of the washing machine and put on wet!

So I booked into my $12 hotel, which was lovely and had a pool, great for cooling off after a long day touring.
The I was there picture :-)
I also booked a TukTuk driver for the day at $10, he took me to all the ruins at Angkor Wat, I have to say, they were spectacular ! The downside was it was very hot with the temps touching the 40's.

The whole day was fantastic and I even got to see some monkeys.

I took hundreds of pictures, the temples are full of interesting statues and the walls are lined with sculpture and carvings/

The only downside was the locals trying to sell you things. I just felt they were a bit too much in your face!

After a couple of days I headed back to the apartment in Bangkok to get ready for the flight to Vancouver Canada.


1 of the hundreds of pictures I took that day

So arriving back in Bangkok gave me a few days to sort out washing and get last minute bits for the trip. The flight was a 1 stop over. So I can now add Japan to my list of countries (only joking, I didnt even get out of the airport lol).
I tried to sleep as much as I could on the flights, the flight time was 17 hours in total but because I was crossing the International Dateline I would be going back in time for the first time of this trip.
So I departed Bangkok at 8 in the morning, arriving in Vancouver Canada 2 hours later !! 
I have to say, this time I have really struggled with jet lag, today I had to go back to bed (only for 1 hour but slept thru the alarm and woke up 4 hours later).
Well tomorrow I head off on a Greyhound bus to Seattle USA, where hopefully Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 I will be re-united with my beloved bike ! Its been almost 3 weeks since I last saw my bike and I am getting quite excited about all the places to see :-)
So Ride Safe and take care :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment